Hi! I’m Elaine Tucker.
Most of the things I love in this world start with the letter B: big hair, boots, babies, birth & butter.
But then there are tacos. I also love tacos.
My story: I grew up in Indiana and earned my BA in Communication & Culture as a Hoosier at Indiana University. I spent my early 20s working at a newspaper on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC and moved to Columbus, Ohio to raise my family in October of 2009. We now happily reside in the Clintonville neighborhood of Columbus.
But how did I become a birthworker? What unique characteristics do I bring to the birth team?
I was raised with a childbirth and child development education from an early age and feel it’s always been a part of who I am. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my first pregnancy when popular myth about pregnancy is pretty negative. But mine wasn’t so. The experience of becoming a mother rekindled that early fascination with childbearing and I began to study birth and have relished motherhood.
I birthed my first daughter with the help of my husband and my doula. I afterwards felt I wanted to try to become part of this doula sisterhood. I was given the opportunity to nanny for 3 years while I pursued my training and began certification. My first support role was in 2011 for the family I nannied for and it is one I will hold dear for the rest of my days. My second daughter was born at home under the care of midwives and doula support. It was a life changing experience for our family and furthered my passion for birth.
When I’m not at a birth you can find me having dance parties with my family in my living room, at a concert with my husband or taking a long hike through the Central Ohio woods.
Education, Certifications & Trainings:
- DONA doula training Sept 2011. Audited DONA training Oct 2013
- Certified professional DONA Birth Doula May 2014. Recertified May 2017.
- Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice Certified Lactation Counselor Mar 2014. Recertified May 2017.
- Lamaze Childbirth Educator training Mar 2014
- DONA postpartum doula training Mar 2014
- Rebozo Certified
- Neonatal resuscitation with Karen Strange, March 2016
- HypnoBabies Childbirth Hypnodoula accredidation (HCHD), Jan 2017
- Spinning Babies, VBACfacts, Rebozo Technique Gina Kirby Method, Hazelbaker Institute Breastfeeding Doula, Newborn Mothers training with Newborn Mothers Collective
- Active member of Central Ohio Doulas & Birthworkers of Central Ohio
- Previous labor & birth experience includes: hospital, birth center and home birth, medicated and unmedicated birth, Twins, vaginal OR delivery, Interventive and Non-interventive birth, Cesarean birth, High-risk birth, VBAC support, Water Birth, Gentle/Family Centered Cesarean support, TOLAC and planned Cesarean support, Home birth transfer.
Thank you for looking into my services. Send me a message to set up a free interview. I hope to meet you and your growing family soon.